A purposeful escape in the heart of South Albania
Do you want to escape the routine at a 3T pace? Have you thought about an escape beyond the ordinary? Do you like exploring and slow-moving experiences? Do you need new friends? Or maybe you want to enjoy turtle time with family and kids away from the daily routine?
This week-long trip is built for dreamers, optimists, explorers, those who want to go deep into the knowledge for travellers looking for emotions and wanting to create authentic memories.
Throughout an intense mild adventure itinerary, the stations of this trip will introduce you to:
– Monuments, history, heritage, art, music, dance, culture, local stories;
– Gastronomy, ethics and tradition of healthy eating, rare ingredients and recipes;
– Wine and vineyard, producers and dominant flavours. Wine-inspired local ceremonies;
– Nature, landscape, the emotion of climbing a mountain trail or the adrenaline of the first contact with a horse, the off-road escape through the mountains, isolated villages and traces of time;
– Local spirit. You can have an interactive approach, by carving, dancing, drawing, cooking, picking fruit, singing, or posing to a camera wearing a local costume.
Plan your flight to Tirana airport so that your arrival is no later than 15:00 pm. This way you will have the opportunity to visit the city of Gjirokastra. The transfer from will take about 3 hours where about 250 km are covered. You will be accommodated in a traditional hotel, in the heart of the historic area. Gjirokastra has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2005. Depending on the season and time we will organize a city tour to get to know the bazaar, the castle, pieces from our early and new history, previously unwritten stories about the Cold War, or a tour inspired by Ismail Kadare, the greatest Albanian writer born and raised in Gjirokastra. During the dinner with typical city recipes served in the hotel’s restaurant you will get acquainted with the expert guides and details of the program.
During the winter the mussel mug will not be possible but it will be exchanged for a rich seafood lunch at an area restaurant. We will travel to Saranda to be accommodated in a very good hotel. After a short break we will have a visit to the art gallery led by a well-known painter. The visit, in addition to a presentation with the gallery fund, will be a storytelling about ideological art in Albania during the dictatorship, a story illustrated by dozens of works realized in that period. The evening will be free to relax in the SPA, jacuzzi, swimming pool, etc. and after that we enjoy dinner in Bougainville Bay.
After breakfast at the hotel we will visit a local wine cellar, its vineyard and wine aging cellar. This experience as well as the wine tasting will be led by the producer himself. We will next visit the Monastery of Mesopotam guided by an architect-restorer. The church of St. Nicholas built in the time of the Byzantine emperor Constantine IX Monomaku has a very special Byzantine style architecture. It stands out for its floral motifs and mosaics as well as for its exterior wall decorations with dragon symbolism. We will continue the journey along the coast where according to the season we can organise an experience of picking citrus, olives, grapes or other fruits. The olive tradition is millennial, and the role of the tree is sacred in the lives of the inhabitants of the coast. One of the area’s best chefs will lead another cooking class this time with seafood brought from the area’s fishing boats. Lunch will be enjoyed by the sea while you take with you written recipes of the menu you cook. After lunch we will leave by off road vehicles towards the village Progonat, a road with a high level of difficulty but with a wonderful view. The Mercedes Benz company tested on this road its newest vehicle through the Shushice Valley, turning it into the dream of many off-road enthusiasts. After a journey of about 3 hours we will arrive in Progonat for a wonderful evening around the fire. The roasted meat of the area, the dairy and the dough products accompanied by the isopolyphony of Labëria will make this evening among the mountains very special. You will be accommodated in a newly built guesthouse.
04.03 – 11.03 / 2023
25.03 – 01.04 / 2023
15.04 – 22.04 / 2023
06.05 – 13.05 / 2023
27.05 – 03.06 / 2023
17.06 – 24.06 / 2023
02.09 – 09.09 / 2023
23.09 – 30.09 / 2023
14.10 – 21.10 / 2023
04.11 – 11.11 / 2023
25.11 – 02.12 / 2023
16.12 – 23.12 / 2023
1588 Euro / All-inclusive
C- Adventures and Tours Albania offers nature exploration, meeting culture, people, culinary tradition , sports and experiences.
We give our guests a new dimension to think and travel. No need of special skills.
All clients must accept the authority of the tour leader and respect his/her decisions. The tour leader will not be held responsible for incidents or accidents which may occur as a result of unwise personal initiative, incompetence or other unexpected circumstances. If the health or conduct of any client before or during the tour appears likely, in the opinion of the tour leader, to endanger the group, the client may be excluded from the tour. Each participant is obliged to inform the tour guide of any condition that might affect their ability to participate in the tour. If a group is divided during the travel the parents must stay in the same group as their children. C-Adventures & Tours will not accept any responsibility for luggage and personal property of clients.
AGE LIMITS AND PHISICAL CONDITON
If children are under the age of 6 can’t participate in a week program.
Select the languages you can converse in with the customer will be English, French, Modern Greek, Italian
ACCOMODATION, TRANSFERS AND ENTRANCE FEES
2023: Tirana airport to Gjirokastra: €70 return per person, 225 km, 3-4 hours
We organize two transfers from the airport every Saturday, the first one at 12 o’clock and the second at 15.00 pm. Flights that fit our normal transfer’s schedule should be planned to arrive no later than 15.00 pm and departures not earlier than 12 o’clock (midday) . Guests that arrive in Tirana one day in advance should plan to arrive at the airport for the transfer of 12 o’clock or 15pm. We can’t organize transfers from Tirana. It is very easy and cheap to reach Tirana airport by bus. There is a bus every hour starting from the center of Tirana (behind the opera palace)
Private transfer from or to Tirana: 1 person 100 Euro (one way)
2 Persons 120 Euro (one way for both)
3 persons or more 50 Euros per person one way.
Note: (Guests can book a private transfer if it is impossible to book flights that fit our normal transfers schedule)
Saranda Port to Gjirokastra and back : €50 per person, 64km, 1 hour 10 min ( this might not be available during winter)To communicate during the trip we recommend buying an Albanian number. For 2000 ALL you can have 10 minutes international calls, 100 SMS, 4G internet for a week. (Vodafone). With small exceptions all the area has very good coverage with signal.
If single rooms are booked it will be a €25 supplement per each night, payable on-site.
Small Group Supplement
This is applicable if only 2 participants are booked for this trip. If, at the time of departure, more than 2 guests are booked, the small group supplement will be refunded. Small group supplement is 162 Euros/person
Please note: All itineraries are given for your guidance only and it may be altered on the ground and in accordance with the prevailing conditions by the organising team.
FOOD AND DRINKS
* All meals, accommodations, activities, guided tours apart from the extra drinks and ticket entrances in museums, cultural sites, art gallery etc.
What isn’t mentioned above, flight tickets
Corona Virus Note: Please consult your doctor few days before the trip and make sure you are healthy before deciding to travel.
All policies regarding Covid 19 situation are subject to change and we will keep you updated about the pandemics in Albania in progress during 2023.
Please take along sun cream and anti-allergy medicine for possible insect bites.
INTERNET ACCES AND CAMERA EQUIPMENT
Internet access is possible everywhere. Participants can buy an Albanian sim card/phone number for about €15 and have free internet access and around 20 minutes of free calls with most European countries.
Access to electricity is possible every evening and the whole area is covered very well with signal.
Bring your favorite camera but consider humidity during the hikes. Heavy cameras aren’t very practical for this trip.
Good mountain shoes – with a grip for walking but not too thick as you will need to ride in them too. Proper shoes to walk in the river.
Waterproof raincoat, warm jacket
Casual clothes for the evening
Sun cream, sunglasses, hat, water bottles, swimming suit, towel
Anti-allergy medicine for possible insects’ bites
Copy of passport
BOOKING & CANCELLATION POLICY
- All customers should complete a Booking Form with the necessary information.
- To set a reservation on hold you have a limit of 120 days prior to starting your tour. If the booking is made 120 days or less prior to departure, a 20% deposit is payable at the time of booking and the balance up to 40 days before the trail.
- In case of booking, 40 days prior to starting your tour you should pay 100% of the amount.
- Cancelling 90 days prior to starting your tour the complete amount will be refundable.
- Cancelling within 90 – 40 days prior to starting your tour the deposit of 20 % is not refundable.
- Cancelling within 40 – 30 days prior to starting your tour will be charged 50 % of the total amount.
- Cancelling within 30 – 20 days prior to starting your tour will be charged 70 % of the total amount.
- Cancelling within 20 – 7 days prior to starting your tour will be charged 90 % of the total amount.
- Cancelling within 7 days prior to starting your tour will be charged 100 % of the tour price.
- If you want to postpone or change the dates you can do it free of charge 30 days prior to starting your tour. In case you do it less than 30 days prior to starting your tour your deposit of 20% isn’t refundable.
- Note Paying with a credit card at the place is not possible at the moment. We accept payments in Euros and the best payment method is via bank transfer or cash.
Before travelling all customers are required to undertake by their own, travel insurance, covering travel accidents, possible trip cancellation, baggage etc.